Finland

Finnish radio history starts in January 1922 with the first public radio concert in January in Turku, repeated in January 1923 in Helsinki (by L.Lindell et al.).

In 1923 tests are held in Tampere by A. Hauvonen (later the chief of Lahti LW station) on medium waves with 20 watts, regular transmissions start in 1924 with a power of 150-250 W.

On 23 March 1924 in Helsinki MW station Radiola (2NBI) starts with a power of 500 W. The station goes bankrupt after six months.

Pioneer broadcasting stations in Finland prior to Radio Finland

Tampere - Tampere Radio Society 1923-1930
Helsinki - Army Signal Batallion 1923-1930
Helsinki - Radiola 1924
Helsinki - Finnish Home Guard 1925-1926 (500 W transmitter was purchased from USA in 1923)
Hanko - Hanko Bisquit Factory Radio 1924-1925
Rauma - Rauma Radio Club 1924-1927
Jyväskylä - Radio Society of Central Finland 1925-1927
Pori - Pori Radio Society 1925-1927
Mikkeli - Mikkeli Radio Society 1925-1928
Lahti - Lahti Radio Hobbyists 1925-1927
Viipuri - Viipuri Radio Society 1926-1928
Turku - Radio Society of Turku 1926-1935 (500 W transmitter was purchased from Sweden)
Pietarsaari - Radio Society of Central Botnia 1926-1935
Kuopio - irregular transmissions in winter 1926-1927


In 1926 the Finnish Broadcasting Company Yleisradio (YLE) is founded, and programmes are relayed via existing low-powered stations owned by local radio clubs and societies before the start of Lahti LW. The full bilingual (Finnish/Swedish) name of the company is then Oy Suomen Yleisradio - Finlands Rundradio Ab.

Radio Finland starts broadcasting on long wave in 1928 when via a transmitter in Lahti on 197 kHz with 25 kW. In 1929 the power is raised to 40 kW and the frequency moves to 167 kHz. In 1934 the frequency changes again, this time to 166 kHz. In 1935 the site gets a new building and transmitter of 150 kW. There are some tests with 200 (220) kW.
After the Second World War, the frequency changes to 160 kHz, in 1950 it goes to 254 kHz. The last transmitter was 200 kW (2 x 100 kW in parallel), but during the very last years only 100 kW was used.  At noon 31 May 1993 Radio Finland ceases broadcasting on long wave via Lahti.

In 1939 the Russians start broadcasting propaganda in Finnish on the same frequency of the Lahti long wave transmitter. During the war a large number of Soviet stations will use the frequency for their domestic broadcasts. The Finnish authorities take countermeasures.

On 30 October 1942 Soldatensender Lappland starts broadcasting from Rovaniemi on 297 kHz with 20 kW.

On 14 September 1943 the transmitter in Rovaniemi starts broadcasting with 15 kW. Just as the other stations in Lahti, Helsinki, and Uleåborg, it carries programmes for the German troops twice a day.

On 14 September 1987 YLEIS raises power on 963 kHz to 600 kW.

On 31 December 2007 at midnight YLE Helsinki (558 kHz) ceases broadcasting on medium wave.


    QSL of Radio Finland on 963 kHz from 1980 (courtesy of Peter Vaegler)   51 kB (jpg)
    QSL of China Radio Internation via Pori from 2008 (courtesy of Peter Vaegler)   121 kB (jpg)